Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Be proud of your success. Just don't be an asshole about it.

I've often heard conservatives say that liberals hate success. Or that we are ashamed of it.

Bullshit.

I consider myself a successful person. And I am well aware of the hard work that has gone into getting me where I am today. And yes, I'm proud of that work.

But now I'm going to turn the whole thing around on conservatives.



Pride in one's accomplishments is a great thing. But would it kill you to bring just a drop of gratitude into the equation? No one, not a single person on this planet, gets anywhere on their own. Family, friends, teachers, mentors and co-workers all play a big part along the way.

So perhaps, next time some wacky progressive suggests that it might be prudent to ask a little bit more of those who earn a little bit more, a conservative could say "why yes, what a delightful idea! I am so thankful for the blessings life has bestowed upon me, I'd be happy to put a little more in the kitty!"

But, alas, I am quite sure that this will never happen. Not because most conservatives aren't capable of gratitude. That is simply not true. No, it's because the right wing machine that feeds most Republican's brains is led by people who are wealthier than 99.99 percent of us. And they will do anything and say anthing to make sure their wealth keeps growing.

It all starts with the lie that we are solely responsible for our own success. Then, they sprinkle in some of that 'liberals hate success' pixie dust. To top it off, they add in the ridiculous but oh so reassuring notion that those who aren't wealthy are lazy pieces of shit.

To ensure that these lies become gospel to the majority of conservatives, all you need is a media organization run by one of those uber-wealthy tycoons to spread this crap day in and day out.

Hmmm, who could that be?

I'm not naming names but I will say that it rhymes with Cocks Poos.

No comments:

Post a Comment