Thursday, November 11, 2010

No thanks?

Today is the day we have set aside to honor our veterans. Seems like the least we can do if you ask me. But since we've gotten ourselves involved in 2 unpopular wars I've noticed that support for our returning servicemen and women has been less than enthusiastic from some people.

To those people, I would like to deliver a warm, hearty "go fuck yourself."

A group of young men and women volunteer to defend you from people who want to kill you and you can't muster up a thank you? Because you don't agree with the politicians who sent them there? Seems like your antipathy is bit misplaced.

Can you even begin to imagine what it must feel like to go to work each day knowing you might get shot? Do you think it sucks any less because the person looking through the scope is not 'the real enemy?'

I've also heard some people rationalize their lack of support by expressing their distaste for military 'types'. Uh, okay. We're talking about a group that is dominated by kids barely out of high school. How many 19 year olds aren't douchebags? I mean, I don't like the jackass who checks me out at Target but that doesn't keep me from giving a polite "thanks" as he moves on to ignore the next customer.

Point is, you don't have to like someone to appreciate what they do. For instance, I may not like you, but I appreciate that you are an ungrateful bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment