Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Stick your head in gravy

I read a book recently that compared the US to a teenager, struggling to assert itself as a relatively young nation.

I think the the author was being generous.

I think we are more similar to a group of 5-year-olds on the playground, all struggling to get everything they want without concern for anyone else's feelings.


How else can you explain our obsessive pursuit of individual liberty?

"I wanna fire my gun wherever I want! But the government's being a big meany!"

"I wanna drive my truck really fast! But stupid signs keep telling me to slow down!"

"I don't wanna buy health insurance! Can't make me!"

Well, first of all, I think the group of kids in that school across the street from you might have a different opinion on your gun usage.

Secondly, the 600 thousand or so auto accidents each year makes me think you should be keeping an eye on your speedometer.

And, last of all, unless your willing to forgo medical treatment next time you get conked in the head by a backhoe, I don't wanna hear your crying about health insurance.

We all share space in this country. Which means, you need to be a teeny bit accommodating once in a while, even if it means not being able to do exactly what you want.

If you want absolute freedom, go buy yourself a private island where you can shoot the shit out of stuff, drive your truck off cliffs and rely on your wits to keep you healthy.

What's that? You can't afford your own island? There you go again, crying like a 5 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment