Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Battered Obama Syndrome

It's sad to witness someone who gets abused on a regular basis. It's even sadder when the abused makes excuses for their abuser, repeatedly.

Sound like a bad lifetime movie? Hardly.


It's the story of our president and his absurdly dysfunctional relationship with the republicans in congress.

Smack! Take some extra tax cuts with your stimulus. And we still won't vote for it!

Pow! Get rid of that commie public option for healthcare. And we still won't vote for it!

Bam! Water down that cap and trade bill until it means almost nothing. And, guess what? We still won't vote for it!

Like a good abuser, they republicans stood proud, steadfast in their belief that their actions were justified. Obama was 'asking for it', so to speak.

And like most abuse victims, Obama found himself, post election shellacking, begging for forgiveness and asking for one more chance to make things work.

If I give them their tax cuts for the rich, maybe they'll stop slapping me around.

If I focus more on the deficit and less on jobs, maybe they'll really love me.

If I start sucking up to business leaders maybe they'll finally realize I've seen the error of my ways.

And so the cycle of abuse continues.

Come to think of it, it is like a bad Lifetime movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment