Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The death of icons?

So this is gonna make me sound like one of those crotchety old guys, but fuck it, I've come to terms with the fact that I am one of those crotchety old guys.


30 years ago, an icon was shot and killed in front of his apartment. John Lennon was not only a brilliant musician and songwriter, but he was a man of passion and ideals. A man who saw that the world needed changing and felt he could do something about it.

And he did. His music allowed us to imagine a world where people saw each other as human beings. A world where divisive groups and labels were unnecessary because we all felt united by a shared spirit.

Today, I look around and wonder who is our next John Lennon? I can't see one. Sure, we have musicians who are passionate about issues, like Lady Gaga for instance. But I do not hear this passion in her music nor do I expect that her songs will have any lasting resonance.

Musically, there are certainly quite a few artists putting out songs that will live on beyond today. I could easily see people listening to old Eminem or Jay-Z tunes 20 years from now. But I don't think either artist brings the kind of passion for ideas and ideals that Lennon brought.

Now, I'd love to proven wrong on all of this. Because I think now, more than ever, the world could use a couple of icons.

No comments:

Post a Comment