Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wiki Wiki What?

Everyone is up in arms about the whole Wikileaks phenomenon. Sarah Palin wants Julian Assange stoned to death. Michael Moore wants him canonized as a saint.

Guess, what? They are both wrong.


As a general rule, transparency is a good thing. The more we know about governments, corporations and other large organizations, the better.

But when it comes to our national defense, I tend to operate under the 'la la la la la I can't hear you' philosophy. You keep me safe, I don't really wanna know how you do it.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any oversight, but let's get real for a second. There is a reason some shit is labeled classified or top secret. Some information could be dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. How exactly am I benefiting by learning details of a covert mission overseas?

This false sense of outrage at what happens during a war is just ridiculous if you ask me. I've never been in the military, but I can only imagine how fucking confusing, scary, lonely, intense and chaotic it all must be.

I imagine sometimes things don't go as planned. And I would also imagine that even if it does go as planned, it's not all that pretty.

So unless you're prepared to strap on a helmet and see the reality of war first hand, let's drop the sanctimonious posturing and focus our energies on shit worthy of genuine outrage.

No comments:

Post a Comment