Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How much money do you want to make when you grow up?

To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, money isn't everything. It's the only thing.

According to the experts, no matter what industry you're in, the only way to attract the best and brightest talent is to make sure you offer a shitload of money.


Most recently, I read a piece that said If we don't pay doctors a really high wage, the next generation of students will choose something other than medicine—like running a hedge fund or investing in tech start ups.

Seriously?

Doesn't anyone choose their career because it's what they actually want to do anymore?

I'll be honest, it kinda freaks me out to think that my cardiologist might be distracted by dreams of $1000 bottle service with the boys from Deutsche Bank.

I want my doctor to be that guy who is so obsessed with his craft that he actually masturbates to medical illustrations.

Listen, I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do with my life until I hit my mid-twenties. But never for a second did I base my thinking on how I could make the most money. Sure, I wanted to find something that could help me earn a decent living. But my main concern was finding a career that actually inspired me to go to work each day.

Have we lost that? Have we become so money-focused in this country that kids only dream of dollar signs?

I hope not. I hope kids still ask each other "what do you want to be when you grow up?"

And I really hope that the most popular answer isn't "rich".

No comments:

Post a Comment